About Me

My photo
I'm a glass-half-full type of girl. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, grave's disease and celiac disease in 2010 and life-altering allergies in 2013. I believe having a positive attitude is the only way to live with dis-ease. I also believe that life doesn't have to be PERFECT for it to be WONDERFUL. Dis-ease is expensive, so I live a frugal yet healthy lifestyle. This is just my blog; my day-to-day story.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

"A Day in the Life" Follow Along with Pics

This is just a day in my regular weekday life. From day to day, Monday through Friday, not much really varies. Here’s a day in the life, pieced together, in pictures.

My alarm goes off at 5:00am. On mornings like today when it’s bitter cold outside of the covers, I might lay there for a few minutes to enjoy the warmth just a little longer. Upon opening my eyes, I look at my Dexcom to get an idea of where things were at. I did check my blood sugar in the middle of the night and I bolused down a 133 blood sugar.

I feed Bella the Corgi and take her out to potty. Then I meander my way to the bathroom to start getting ready. This is what 5am looks like. No makeup; tired as hell.

I grab some of my freshly made vegetable juice to sip on the way to work.

Every morning I am in my car by 5:50am. It is still dark out, but luckily there isn’t much traffic at that time of morning. However the roads still suck because of all the ice and snow.On the way to work, I stopped at for coffee. Medium decaf soy latte with ½ shot of vanilla.

This is my work place at about 6:30am.

Working by the little light of my desk lamp. I get to work while it is still dark, and the lights are still out. It’s peaceful and I get the most work done at this time of the day.

This is what it looks like outside once the darkness has lifted.

My work bag. It has lots of room in it to carry a laptop, magazines, personal items, lunch bag, bottle(s) of water, etc. It is black with a shamrock green interior. I love this bag! I use one on wheels because of my back issues. I put lots of snacks in it, diabetes supplies, my lunch bag, and magazines. I use one on wheels, because it gets too heavy to carry with a purse, too. With my ongoing back pain, I can’t carry a work back unless it is on wheels.

Later, I take a quick bathroom break and upon passing the big mirror in the bathroom, I realize that both of my devices (CGM and Omnipod) are very visible under my shirt. Bummer. I try not to showcase them, although from time to time, it does happen.

Throughout the day, I check by blood sugar about every 2 hrs. I keep an “informal” system of tracking my bg when I am at work: I write the times down on a large sticky note, and record the reading. This is a great visual reminder to me to help me not forget to check it every two hours when I am busy at work. It also helps me spot trends in a simplistic way. At the end of the day, I toss the sticky and start a new one the next day. Here is a picture of that, although I do not know why my BGs were running so much higher today than is usual. Oh well. That’s Diabetes!

I like to decorate diabetes whenever possible. On this day, I colored and then cut out a little pink heart for my lancet bottle. Other times, I love to decorate my pod with animal print stickers and rhinestones. Why not?

I forgot to take a picture of my breakfast, snacks and lunches, but what I can tell you is I rotate between eating a 2-egg white scramble with vegetables in it and a ½ baked sweet potato (plain) with maybe ¼ of an avocado chopped up and sprinkled on top of the eggs. OR I will have a bowl of organic, gluten-free oatmeal (I use EcoPlanet brand in Maple flavor), with a tablespoon of organic apple butter swirled in, ¼ cup raw walnuts, almond milk IF I have any in the fridge, and a small squirt (maybe a teaspoon) of agave nectar. I bolus and then wait 20 minutes to begin eating the oatmeal.

My work day ends at 3:00pm, and I drive straight home because my dog needs to go potty by then and can’t hold it any longer. If I have errands to run/shopping to do, it gets done after I’ve had a chance to run home first. The dog comes first!

Once I’m home, I change out of my clothes and into my jammies , robe and slippers. I usually put my hair up on top of my head or in a ponytail to get it out of the way. I sit with my dog and do some quiet reading of the new stories online, or maybe read a couple chapters of the book I’m reading.

I make time to do my ongoing physical therapy exercises; approx. 30 minutes.

Then I get up, make my breakfast and lunch for the next day, pack snacks, clean the dishes, and make supper. I double check to make sure everything I need is in my work bag and purse (work ID, keys, all diabetes supplies, tea thermos, etc. )Then I shower, pick out my clothes (including accessories and shoes) for the next day, and essentially wind down to get ready for bed. I go to bed fairly early.

So there you have it. Not too interesting, but it works for me. This girl runs on routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment